Looking for a way to help out a shelter dog, but can’t make a long- term commitment?
Pet Alliance of Greater Orlando’s Hound Around Town program is a unique opportunity to enrich the life of a shelter dog by taking them out of the shelter and into the community.
Not only is it a nice day out for you, but our shelter dogs will be furever grateful for the chance to relax out of the shelter environment, sniff all Pet Alliance approved sights, and get exposure to adopters.
How it Works
Dogs are available to be checked out 7 days a week | 12-3 p.m. for a maximum of two hours. During your excursion, you can take your shelter dog to any of the approved locations near each shelter below.
Take them for a walk, a hike, to your favorite dog friendly restaurant, or relax in a park. Your pup must be back by 5 p.m. at the latest so they can be tucked in for the night prior to closing
Take lots of pictures and use the hashtag #houndaroundtown to spread the word on your new furry friend!
Requirements to Participate
- You must complete sign-up form and watch the video prior to taking a dog on Hound Around Town
- You must be at least 18 years old and have a valid driver’s license to participate.
- Dog must remain on the leash and under your control at all times.
- You must visit one of our approved Hound Around Town locations specified to the pup you pick. ABSOLUTELY NO dog parks, or any other off leash dog areas will be approved.
- Your afternoon pal will not be able to socialize with any other animals (nose to nose introductions are a no, no!)
- You must be available by phone if the shelter needs to contact you.
- All supplies must be returned with the dog at the end of your field trip.
- Have a blast! Always remember to keep the dog’s safety as your #1 priority, but enjoy your afternoon date to the fullest extent! Take lots of pictures!
How to Get Started
Watch the how-to video and fill out the form below. You will receive an email confirming the date and time you selected. When you arrive, enter through the Adoptions Lobby with your driver’s license in hand. Let staff know you are here for Hound Around Town and they will get you exploring with your furry friend in no time. Keep in mind that approved dogs may be limited, and outings are at a first come first serve basis.
The most generous day of the year, Giving Tuesday, was truly that. You helped us raise over $30,000 for Pet Alliance’s shelter dogs and cats! With so many worthy nonprofits out there to support, we are grateful for anyone who chose to donate to their community’s shelter pets. During Giving Tuesday, we shared with you that we
Over the last several weeks, Pet Alliance has confirmed 6 dogs with canine parvovirus at the Orlando Shelter and Sanford Shelter. Due to our building capacity, we will suspend dog adoption and intakes at our Sanford location until further notice. Additionally, Hound Around Town at BOTH shelters will also be closed until further notice. The Orlando shelter
The holidays wouldn’t be the same if we weren’t celebrating alongside our furrier family members. You know the feeling; stuffed and content while sprawled out on the couch watching the National Dog Show with your dog or cat keeping you toasty. It’s something we look forward to all season long! To help keep your season